From Thomas Watson's A Godly Man's Picture:
There are ten duties that God calls for, which a godly man will conscientiously perform, and indeed these duties may serve as so many other characteristics and touchstones to test our godliness by:
1. A godly man will often be calling his heart to account -
He takes the candle of the Word and searches his innermost being.
2. A godly man is much in private prayer -
He keeps his hours for private devotion.
3. A godly man is diligent in his calling -
He takes care to provide for his family.
4. A godly man sets bounds to himself in things lawful -
He is moderate in matters of recreation and diet.
5. A godly man is careful about moral righteousness -
He makes conscience of equity as well as piety.
6. A godly man will forgive those who have wronged -
A gracious spirit passes by affronts, forgets injuries.
7. A godly man lays to heart the miseries of the church -
Such a spiritual sympathy exists among Christians.
8. A godly man is content with his present condition -
If provisions get low, his heart is tempered to his condition.
9. A godly man is fruitful in good works -
A good man feeds the hungry, clothes the naked.
10. A godly man will suffer persecution -
He will be married to Christ, though he settles no other estate on him, than the cross.