Monday, November 1, 2010

More Christian hedonism

There is no way to triumph over sin long-term unless we develop a distaste for it because of a superior satisfaction in God. The only way to find sin distasteful is to eat and savor the sweetness of all that God is for us in Jesus. (Storms, C. Samuel. Pleasures Evermore: the Life-changing Power of Enjoying God. Colorado Springs, CO: NavPress, 2000. Print. 21-22)

Why is this so hard to "get". I believe it is true. But I so often fall back on the list of DOs and DON'Ts or on the ugliness of sin as means to stop sinning. I want this truth, the surpassing pleasure of Christ, to be part of me. I want to incorporate it into my life so that it is not something I continually adopt as a strategy but it is something I have so integrated in my life that it is the paradigm I live in and from; clearly, a desire that only the Holy Spirit can make real in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment