Friday, March 4, 2011

No Hell, No Cross


I have mixed feelings about this scuffle that has recently surfaced regarding Rob Bell and his upcoming book Love Wins.


I'm thankful for two reasons. 1)Now that some of the guess work has been taken away from Bell's theology my hope is that his errors can be addressed with grace and love. He's been described as the rock star of the modern church; he influences a lot of people. My prayer would be that the criticism he receives from this would cause him to reevaluate some of his doctrinal positions. 2)This has encouraged a lot of Evangelicals (including myself) to revisit their beliefs concerning the doctrine of Hell. This is one of those instances that forces us to stick our nose back into our Bibles, maybe even underline a verse of two, and figure out what it has to say about the issue at hand.

However, there are some negatives. I hate to see people inside the church fighting. I think that articles or blogposts written with intelligence, grace, boldness, and empathy are greatly needed, but we could do without the bickering that usually follows in the comments.

Tim Keller has a great article titled, "The Importance of Hell" which can be found here. Read it!

No comments:

Post a Comment