Monday, October 18, 2010

Ortlund on A Divine and Supernatural Light

A Divine and Supernatural Light is a famous sermon by Jonathan Edwards. Dane Ortlund, in his book entitled A New Inner Relish (Ortlund, Dane. A New Inner Relish: Christian Motivation in the Thought of Jonathan Edwards. Fearn, Scotland: Christian Focus, 2008. Print.), discusses the main focus of this sermon:
The central idea of the sermon is that conversion is not primarily an intellectual assent to a new set of beliefs regarding God. Conversion is rather the event in which this Being who created the universe causes His light to shine into a human heart. God gives a glorious and utterly new perspective on life in which the individual sees the excellency and glory of God in Christ and is brought to gladly love and cherish Him. (59-60)
This is not the way I used to view salvation. I used to see salvation exactly the way Ortlund describes Edwards as not seeing it; I believed salvation was my intellectual assent to God. How much has changed? I now agree with Edwards in that my salvation was a solo work by God in my heart where, by grace, he brought me to life. His light shone in my heart; this new perspective was given to me and it was not one I assented to on my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment