Monday, February 7, 2011

The Bruised Reed


I've started reading The Bruised Reed by Richard Sibbes. The book's title is derived from
Isaiah 42:1-3
Behold my servant, whom I uphold, my chosen, in whom my soul delights; I have put my spirit upon him; he will bring forth justice n the nations. He will not cry aloud or lift up his voice, or make it heard in the street; a bruised reed he will not break, and a faintly burning wick he will not quench; he will faithfully bring forth justice.

Later in Matthew12:18-20 we read how Jesus was the fulfillment of this prophesy. I know some of the other bloggers have been through this Puritan classic but this is my first time reading it. I haven't been disappointed, Chapter 1 - The Reed and the Bruising caught my attention right out of the gate. Here's a few of my favourite quotes:

What a support to our faith is this, that God the father, the party offended by our sins, is so well pleased with the work of redemption.

The bruised reed is a man that for the most part is in some misery, as those were that came to Christ for help, and by misery he is brought to see sin as the cause of it, for whatever pretense sin makes, it comes to an end when we are bruised and broken. After conversion we need bruising so that reeds may know themselves to be reeds, and not oaks.

Referring to David, Paul and Peter...the heroic deeds of those great worthies do not comfort the church so much as their falls and bruises do.

I think this is going to be a great read!

No comments:

Post a Comment