Sunday, February 20, 2011

Strength and gray hairs

Reading the Bible this morning. I came across the following in Proverbs 20: The glory of young men is their strength, but the splendor of old men is their gray hair (Proverbs 20:29 ESV).

It got me to thinking about my own gray hairs. The general colour of my hair is still brown, but increasingly the gray hairs are successfully proselytizing the brown ones. It also got me to thinking about my strength. This past week I ventured into the weight room at the school where I teach. I had decided to lift some weights with the football team I coach. I threw some weights around, and could tell by the looks on their faces that they were a little surprised this 'old' guy could still push some poundage.

So here I am, caught somewhere between the young guys with their strength and the old guys with their gray hair; still strong enough to hold my own, and old enough to not be wet behind the ears. I'm closing in on forty and the dreaded mid-life crisis that comes with it! "Why the crisis?" I ask myself. This is a good age. An age where I have had some life experiences that mature an individual; marriage, work, kids. And an age when I could handle a lot of 20 and 30 year-olds if I needed to.

I'm at a good age to be of some use to the kingdom of our Lord with my hands, heart, and head.

So be it.

1 comment:

  1. So in between!

    Young enough to get your Masters in Biblical Theology and have enough good years to put it to use... but old enough to pretend it's not worth it at this point.

    ReplyDelete