Friday, August 3, 2012

My boy is a man


I love my son deeply. He is a wonderful boy. He is kind, smart, and mostly quiet. He is sensitive. He is a fun younger brother for his three older sisters and a caring older brother to his lone younger sister. He is athletic, very athletic, which is due to his small size and-I like to tell myself-his genetics. And he is obedient. He listens to his parents, his teachers, his coaches. He is wonderful and I am biased. But even in my biased-admiration I regularly remind myself that likely my most potent influence on him is my contribution to his sinful nature. Barring a miraculous and Divine intervention, the legacy of sinfulness that I have contributed to his existence will be the most devastatingly effectual part I play; despite all of his amazing qualities, he is a sinner. As Robertson Davies has written,
A boy is a man in miniature, and though he may sometimes exhibit notable virtue, as well as characteristics that seem to be charming because they are childlike, he is also a schemer, self-seeker, traitor, Judas, crook, and villian-in short, a man.
My son, Judah-boy as I like to call him, needs a Saviour just as any other man or woman. And apart from God's sovereign grace, my son, and all other participants in my race, would be lost. I'm thankful that my son has shown evidence of God's merciful hand in his life and I pray that this continues until his last day; I believe it will.

No comments:

Post a Comment