Thursday, January 10, 2013

Resentment and unforgiveness


This quote from Jonathan Edwards' classic Charity and Its Fruits was painful to read the first time and is equally so in writing this post. I am easily to take offense because I think much of myself. I know there are people out there who might think too disparagingly of themselves, but I'm not one of them. My own estimation of myself rarely displays humility, but often evidences pride. Thus, I am oft-offended and slow to forgive. Consider:
A humble spirit disinclines us to indulge resentment of injuries, for he that is little and unworthy in his own eyes, will not think so much of an injury offered to him as he that has high thoughts of himself. For it is deemed a greater and higher enormity to offend one that is great and high, than one that is mean and vile. It is pride or self-conceit that is very much the foundation of a high and bitter resentment, and of an unforgiving and revengeful spirit. (79)

No comments:

Post a Comment