Saturday, January 17, 2009

Lines.

Football is a game of territory, of field position. So much preparation and planning focuses on the lines. Running plays, pass routes, defensive drops. They all take the lines on the field and the distances they demarcate as crucial to successful performance. And we all should know the games are won and lost on THE line; the line of scrimmage. How many broken bones, how many contused muscles, how many concussed craniums, how many bruised egos all to try and own THE line. It's about the lines. The whole point is to cross the goal LINE. I'm telling you, its about the lines.

Psalm 17:6(ESV) - The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; indeed, I have a beautiful inheritance.

God's concerned about the lines too. But the lines of that inheritance you cannot fight for, you cannot play for, you cannot hurt for. Those boundaries are a gift. That territory has already been paid for.

Ephesians 1:11-14(ESV) - 11 In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will, 12 so that we who were the first to hope in Christ might be to the praise of his glory. 13 In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, 14 who is the guarantee of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it, to the praise of his glory.

Indeed, my lines have fallen in pleasant places.

1 comment:

  1. Listen - I really like this post - but I can't exactly put my finger on why. Maybe it's the assurance that, like you, I know my lines have fallen in good places also and regardless of my situation and feelings the lines on the field of my life are fixed. I appreciate your heart.

    ReplyDelete