Friday, January 16, 2009

Tim Challies on Spiritual Gifts

From www.challies.com:

Often when I hear people speak of spiritual gifts they do so in this manner. “I have the gift of [insert gift here] and my church has no way for me to serve in that way.” Or “I know what my gift is and I am looking for ways to use it.” To these people I would suggest that they may have an inaccurate or incomplete understanding of the way the gifts work. The way to properly exercise spiritual gifts is not to be willing only to do what you’ve determined is your gifting, but to do anything that the church needs to have done, and to do it with joy and excellence. And as you do that, you may find that God gifts and equips you for something far outside your comfort zone.

That is excellent advice. It flies in the face of the "the church is here to meet my needs" mentality. Serve the church! Novel, but not new.

Read the rest of the post here.

No comments:

Post a Comment