Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Oden on Luther

In his introduction to The Justification Reader (Oden, Thomas C. The Justification Reader. Grand Rapids, MI: W.B. Eerdmans, 2002. Print.), Thomas C. Oden touches upon several thoughts Luther had on justification that I thought were worth sharing:

"Luther regarded justification as the "rule and judge over all other Christian doctrines." Of justification he wrote: "Nothing in this article can be given up or compromised. ... On this article rests all that we teach. ... Therefore we must be quite certain and have no doubts about it. Otherwise all is lost. ... Luther taught that every time you insist that I am a sinner, just so often do you call me to remember the benefit of Christ my Redeemer, upon whose shoulders, and not upon mine, lie all my sins. So, when you say that I am a sinner, you do not terrify, but comfort me immeasurably." (4-5)

No comments:

Post a Comment