Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Augustine on inspirational reading


Given the recent increase in my personal reading about religious matters, I found this description by Augustine of maybe a similar period in his life intriguing...

From Confessions Book III Ch IV (Emphasis and comments are mine. )

How did I burn then, my God, how did I burn to re-mount from earthly things to Thee, nor knew I what Thou wouldest do with me? For with Thee is wisdom. But the love of wisdom is in Greek called “philosophy,” with which that book inflamed me. Some there be that seduce through philosophy, under a great, and smooth, and honourable name colouring and disguising their own errors: and almost all who in that and former ages were such, are in that book censured and set forth:
Augustine is referring to a book - Hortensius by Cicero that he found quite inspiring and kindled his heart for philosophy
there also is made plain that wholesome advice of Thy Spirit, by Thy good and devout servant (referring to the apostle Paul in Col 2:8-9): Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ. For in Him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.
And since at that time (Thou, O light of my heart, knowest) Apostolic Scripture was not known to me, I was delighted with that exhortation, so far only, that I was thereby strongly roused, and kindled, and inflamed to love, and seek, and obtain, and hold, and embrace not this or that sect, but wisdom itself whatever it were; and this alone checked me thus unkindled, that the name of Christ was not in it. For this name, according to Thy mercy, O Lord, this name of my Saviour Thy Son, had my tender heart, even with my mother's milk, devoutly drunk in and deeply treasured; and whatsoever was without that name, though ever so learned, polished, or true, took not entire hold of me
Augustine loved this work by Cicero of which apparently there are little or no full copies remaining. The writings of Augustine have been considered to be a significant source of quotations for this particular piece by Cicero. I like the way Augustine points out that while he loved reading this book (learned and polished) because the name of Christ was not in it, it did not take entire hold of him. In fact, apart from Christ, much inspirational reading does not take hold of me either. Christless literature and philosophy may make intriguing reading, great advice, increase you self esteem, purportedly make you a "better" you, colour and disguise your errors but it will not "take entire hold of you". In John Piper's words "When you get to heaven and God asks, 'What happened to you?', you're not going to respond with 'I got smart'". I got 'Christ' and that's why reading about him takes entire hold of me.

1 comment:

  1. "I got 'Christ' and that's why reading about him takes entire hold of me."

    That's awesome Rich!

    ReplyDelete