Monday, November 30, 2009

Our own "Isaacs"

The process of changing from a football player to a 'regular' civilian has been a difficult process; much more difficult than I had expected. Despite our best intentions, it seems we humans have a proclivity to making idols out of just about anything and everything in our lives. I know I do.

I found this excerpt from Counterfeit Gods by Timothy Keller both insightful and helpful.



Think of the many disappointments and troubles that beset us. Look at the more closely, and you will realize that most of the agonizing of them have to do with our own "Isaacs." In our lives there are always some things that we invest in to get a level of joy and fulfillment that only God can give. The most painful times in our lives are times in which our Isaacs, our idols, are being threatened or removed. When that happens we can respond in two ways. We can opt for bitterness and despair. We will feel entitled to wallow in those feelings, saying, "I've worked all my life to get to this place in my career, and now it's all gone!" or "I've slaved my whole life to give that girl a good life, and this is how she repays me!" We may feel at liberty to lie, cheat, take revenge, or throw away our principles in order to get some relief. Or we may simply live in permanent despondency.

Or else, like Abraham, you could take a walk up into the mountains. You could say, "I see that you may be calling me to live my life without something I never thought I could live without. But if you have, I have the only wealth, health, love honor, and security I really need and cannot lose." As many have learned and later taught, you don't realize Jesus is all you need until Jesus is all you have. (Keller, Timothy. Counterfeit Gods. Dutton: New York. 2009. p18-9)

No comments:

Post a Comment