3. The SCRIPTURES
Question 2. What rule has God given to direct us how we may glorify and enjoy him?
Answer: The Word of God, which is contained in the scriptures of the Old and New Testaments, is the only rule to direct us how we may glorify and enjoy him.
How does it appear that the Scriptures have a divine authority stamped upon them?
 Its ANTIQUITY.
 We may know the Scripture to be the Word of God by its miraculous PRESERVATION in all ages.
 The Scripture appears to be the Word of God, by the subject MATTER contained in it.
 That the Scripture is the Word of God is evident by its PREDICTIONS.
 The impartiality of those men of God who wrote the Scriptures, who do not spare to set down their own failings.
 The mighty POWER and EFFICACY that the Word has had upon the souls and consciences of men.
- It has changed their hearts.
- It has comforted their hearts.
- When it has been sick—the Word has revived it.
 The MIRACLES by which Scripture is confirmed.
Are all the books in the Bible of the same divine authority?
Those which we call canonical.
Why are the Scriptures called canonical?
Because the Word is a rule of faith, to direct our lives.
Are the Scriptures a complete rule?
The Scripture is a full and perfect rule, containing in it all things necessary to salvation.
What is the main scope and end of Scripture?
To reveal a way of salvation. It makes a clear discovery of Christ.
Who should have the power of interpreting Scripture?
- The Scripture is to be its own interpreter, or rather the Spirit speaking in it.
has appointed some to expound and interpret Scripture; therefore he has given gifts to men. churchof God
- We are to receive nothing as truth, but what is agreeable to the Word.
Use one: See the wonderful goodness of God, who, besides the light of nature—has committed to us the sacred Scriptures.
Use two: Is Scripture of divine inspiration?
(1.) Is all Scripture of divine inspiration? Then it reproves the PAPISTS
(2.) Is all Scripture of divine inspiration? Then it condemns the ANTINOMIANS
(3.) Is all Scripture of divine inspiration? Then it condemns the ENTHUSIASTS
(4.) Is all Scripture of divine inspiration? Then it condemns the SLIGHTERS of Scripture
(5.) Is all Scripture of divine inspiration? Then it condemns the ABUSERS of Scripture
Use three: If the Scripture be of divine inspiration, then be exhorted,
(1.) To STUDY the Scripture.
- There is majesty sparkling in every line of Scripture
- There is a melody in Scripture
- There is divinity in Scripture
- The Scripture is profitable for all things
- Read with seriousness. It is matter of life and death; by this Word you must be tried; conscience and Scripture are the jury God will proceed by, in judging you.
- Read the Word with affection
(2.) Be exhorted to PRIZE the written Word
(3.) If the Scripture is of divine inspiration, BELIEVE it
(4.) LOVE the Word written
(5.) CONFORM to Scripture
(6.) CONTEND for Scripture
(7.) Be THANKFUL to God for the Scriptures
(8.) Adore God's distinguishing grace, if you have felt the power and authority of the Word upon your conscience