Monday, August 24, 2009

Closing Thoughts


I just finished Why We Love The Church, and figured I'd share some of my thoughts. First of all I would recommend this book to anyone who has ever questioned their ecclesiology... which is pretty much everyone who's ever belonged to a church.

Towards the end of the book DeYoung makes a statement that threw me a little, it was definitely shocking, but so true.

"Likewise, the church is at the same time the bride of Christ and the Lord's harlot."

Ummmm what? The Lord's harlot? I've heard more times than I can count that the church is the bride of Christ. Right, got it. But the Lord's harlot isn't something that gets preached. I love the quote though. All of the "disgruntled Johnny's" (see intro.) of the world only think of the church as the eventual perfect bride of Christ. That we can somehow create this perfect heaven-on-earth scenario before the King returns. The fact that the church is still full of sinners is forgotten. The fact that we're a fallen people and cursed with original sin and total depravity isn't talked about, but is instead pushed aside as a misinterpretation. Things aren't going to be perfect in the world before Christ comes. Sin has always been the biggest issue, bigger than any social justice issue out there. This book has helped me to realize that the focus has got to come back to the gospel...not what I can do for God but what he's already done for me. There will be problems we (through the grace of God) can help solve, but there will always be more that we cannot. It's part of living in the age that we live, it sucks, but it's how it's going to be.

DeYoung talks about how it seems like everyone wants to be a revolutionary. He says, "Until we are content with being one of the million nameless, faceless church members and not the next globe-trotting rock star, we aren't ready to be a part of the church. In the grand scheme of things, most of us are going to be more of an Ampliatus (Rom. 16:8) or Phlegon (16:14) than an apostle Paul."

Maybe it's just a guy thing, but I've almost wanted to be the "hero". Someone who does something to benefit the world in someway. It comes with fame, praise, recognition...all that stuff. The "knight in shining armor" deal. This statement put 1 Corinthians 12 into perspective for me, when Paul talks about being members of one body and the different members of that body.

With all this talk about revolution and being revolutionary, it's taken a while, but I think I'm finally comfortable with being a "plodding visionary".

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Great writing Chris!

    I've got to read that book.

    Btw, I happy to be plodding alongside you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Chris,
    Don't let books like this dull your passion to solve the problems of the church, even the ones that don't look like they can be solved. Never accept that "it's how it's going to be" if it's not right. It's those who have accepted being the millions of nameless faceless church members, accepting the status quo, that are most responsible for the flaws in the church/es.

    I happy to be revolutionary alongside you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol...I was about to post a comment making fun of you(Abe) for writing "I happy" and then I read my comment...very good, very good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No it definitely hasn't dulled them at all. My point was that there are lots of problems in the church and outside of the church that we can/should try to change. I'm not at all backing down from that. My point was that there will always be flaws in the church, right from square one there were flaws ( see 1 Corinthians) in the early new testament church. She's never been perfect, and it's the realization that she never will be until Christ's return. As long as the church is full of "sinning-saints" and "sinning sinners" there will always be problems. But it can't be any other way.

    ReplyDelete