Saturday, August 29, 2009

Lamentations 2:14

Lamentations 2:14
Your prophets have seen for you
false and deceptive visions;
they have not exposed your iniquity
to restore your fortunes,
but have seen for you oracles
that are false and misleading.


This morning I was reading in Lamentations and the verse above caught my attention. After attributing Israel's decimation to God in the beginning of the chapter, the author of Lamentations turns his sights on Israel's religious leaders; the prophets. The author labels prophets as 'false', and their failing is indicated; they have not exposed iniquity. And this deception has prevented restoration.

This reminded me that sin is present in my life and that to overlook it, to hide it, to deny it, to defend it, is a recipe for disaster. The only hope I have is to expose it, and to look to Christ for my restoration. Sin is present, but so is the One who conquered sin by who paying my penalty for it through His death. And His resurrection ensures my restoration.

No comments:

Post a Comment