Thursday, August 6, 2009

From chapter 8 of Schaeffer's True Spirituality:

"I have found it extremely helpful that when a man has accepted Christ as his Saviour, he should bow his head and say "Thank you" to the God who is there--"Thank you for the completed work." Undoubtedly men have been saved and have gone away not consciously saying "Thank you" but how wonderful it is when a man has seen himself a sinner, and has understood his lostness, for that man to have accepted Christ as his Saviour and then to have bowed his head consciously to say "Thank you" for a work that is absolute and complete. It is usually when the newly-born one thanks God that the assurance comes, that he comes to rest in certainty and in peace."

"It is the same is restoration. There is a continuing parallel here. If we have sinned, it is wonderful consciously to say, "Thank you for a completed work," after we have brought that specific sin under the finished work of Christ. While not absolutely necessary for restoration, the conscious giving of thanks brings assurance and peace. We say "Thank you" for a work completed upon the cross, which is sufficient for a completely restored relationship. This is not on the basis of emotions, any more that in my justification. The basis is the finished work of Christ in history and the objective promises of God in the written Word. If I believe him, and if I believe what he has taught me about the sufficiency of the work of Christ for restoration, I can have assurance, no matter how black the blot has been. This is the Christian reality of salvation from one's conscience."

"Martin Luther, in his commentary on Galatians, shows a great understanding of the fact that our salvation includes salvation from the bondage of our conscience. It is, of course, natural and right that as we become Christians our consciences should become ever more tender. This is a work of the Holy Spirit. However, I should not be bowed down by my conscience year after year over sins that are past. When my conscience under the Holy Spirit makes me aware of a specific sin, I should at once call that sin sin and bring it consciously under the blood of Christ. Now it is covered, and it is not honoring to the finished work of Jesus Christ to worry about it, as far as my relationship to God is concerned. Indeed, to worry about it is to do despite to the infinite value of the death of the Son of God. My fellowship with God is restored."


I know just a well as the next person what it's like to live a double life and to have sins from the past that you can never quite let go, always feeling slightly guilty about them. These few quotes from Schaeffer, as well as the rest of the chapter were incredibly freeing.

No comments:

Post a Comment