Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Importance of Preaching

I found this portion of Religious Affections interesting because it challenged a few things I presently hold ...

And therefore it does not answer the aim which God had in this institution, merely for men to have good commentaries and expositions on the Scripture, and other good books of divinity; because, although these may tend as well as preaching to give men a good doctrinal or speculative understanding of the things of the word of God, yet they have not an equal tendency to impress them on men's hearts and affections. God hath appointed a particular and lively application of his word to men in the preaching of it, as a fit means to affect sinners with the importance of the things of religion, and their own misery, and necessity of a remedy, and the glory and sufficiency of a remedy provided; and to stir up the pure minds of the saints, and quicken their affections, by often bringing the great things of religion to their remembrance, and setting them before them in their proper colours, though they know them, and have been fully instructed in them already, 2 Pet. 1:12, 13.

Edwards essentially says good theological books are equivalent to preaching in terms of increasing your theological understanding but they are not as good as preaching to impress that doctrine or understanding on your affections. If true religion is in the affections then good preaching is vital. I must admit, I often will give more weight to a good book over a good message.

3 comments:

  1. I must admit, I often will give more weight to a good book over a good message.

    I do too.

    But, I am more 'moved' in my affections with a good sermon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that few would challenge the suggestion that oral communication is more effective than the written word, due in large part to the impact of non-verbal communication and vocal nuances. However, I wonder if this applies similarly to impressing the Word of God upon the "hearts and affections" of people? Is it the effectiveness of the medium or the power of God that matters? Is a well written theology book necessarily more effective than a cumbersome theology book? Does this not 'handcuff' the power of God?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm guessing the author was speaking in generalities; what is usually the case.

    God can certainly do what He pleases.

    I'd also guess the author would place Scripture in a different category than other books but he does recognizes that Scripture can be ineffective if not coupled with God's gracious power via the Holy Spirit; he makes that point several times in what I have read so far.

    ReplyDelete