Thursday, July 16, 2009

We Really Don't Get It

"There also the hateful nature of our sins is manifested in the most affecting manner possible: as we see the dreadful effects of them, in that our Redeemer, who undertook to answer for us, suffered for them. And there we have the most affecting manifestation of God's hatred of sin, and his wrath and justice in punishing it; as we see his justice in the strictness and inflexibleness of it; and his wrath in its terribleness, in so dreadfully punishing our sins, in one who was infinitely dear to him, and loving to us. So has God disposed things, in the affair of our redemption, and in his glorious dispensations, revealed to us in the gospel, as though everything were purposely contrived in such a manner, as to have the greatest possible tendency to reach our hearts in the most tender part, and move our affections most sensibly and strongly. How great cause have we therefore to be humbled to the dust, that we are no more affected"
  • This is something that just boggles my mind. God is so infinitely loving that he would give his own son for the sake of the elect, but yet so incredibly wrathful that no punishment would be spared. I've heard the gospel message more times then I can count, but I don't think I'll ever truly truly understand just how much of God's wrath was exhausted on Christ. We really don't understand how much God hates sin. I've often heard, and prayed myself, that my heart would break for the things that break God's, and that I would delight in the things he delights in. I don't think I ever really fully understood that prayer, because if it was granted how different would we see the world and how differently would our lives look?

2 comments:

  1. I don't think I'll ever truly truly understand just how much of God's wrath was exhausted on Christ

    You're right, we'll never understand qualitatively how much of God's wrath was exhausted on Christ!

    We do, thankfully, understand how much of God's wrath quantitatively was exhausted on Christ for us; all of it!

    Great post Chris.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post man... I've often prayed that prayer with you, and never really examined how different my outlook would be if it were fully granted.

    I think its a process, because we would misuse that sort of knowledge/ emotion if it were thrust on someone who wasn't ready for it. Historically we've seen perversions where people made God's wrath towards sin their wrath towards sin-- the crusades, salem witch hunts are two of the more readily mentioned.

    But I think if our hearts are moved with compassion as Christ's was, if we understand his love, and mercy in conjunction with his holiness, righteousness and intolerence of sin than we can navigate the world around us with the same balance.

    You've given me alot to think about.

    ReplyDelete