Monday, July 6, 2009

Matthew 15:21-28 - Crumbs and Compassion


Matthew 15:21-28 - And Jesus went away from there and withdrew to the district of Tyre and Sidon. And behold, a Canaanite woman from that region came out and was crying, “Have mercy on me, O Lord, Son of David; my daughter is severely oppressed by a demon.” But he did not answer her a word. And his disciples came and begged him, saying, “Send her away, for she is crying out after us.” He answered, “I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.” But she came and knelt before him, saying, “Lord, help me.” And he answered, “It is not right to take the children's bread and throw it to the dogs.” She said, “Yes, Lord, yet even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their masters' table.” Then Jesus answered her, “O woman, great is your faith! Be it done for you as you desire.” And her daughter was healed instantly.


As I read the section of Matthew 15 this morning a few things stuck out. Firstly, the idea that Christ at first did not help this woman was likely very difficult for him. My usual reaction when someone wants something from me is to try and find a an escape route, to try and remove myself from the situation and get away from the needy person. Basically, I would have responded like the disciples; "this is awkward and uncomfortable so let's change this situation."

But it seems to me that Jesus would be feeling the opposite; wanting desperately to help this lady and yet understanding his own God-given mandate. But I bet his soul was tumultuously torn due to his desire to show this woman compassion. I bet he 'jumped' at the chance to free this woman's daughter when, for whatever exact reason, he sensed the release to do so.

Second, all crumbs are not created equal. The crumbs from a beggars table would not be the same as the crumbs from the king's table. I'll gladly take the crumbs from the table of the King of the Universe. If I'm to get only scraps then give me the scraps from the feast of the Creator and Sustainer of everything. And yet, because of Christ, we do not have to eat the crumbs though the crumbs from his provision would satisfy. We've been given a seat at the table when we don't even deserve the scraps. Mercy. Grace. Love.

1 comment:

  1. Just getting caught up on my reading - glad to see you have ventured into the commentary business also.

    ReplyDelete