Thursday, July 16, 2009

Liberal versus Conservative Christianity

I just read a great blog post by a friend of mine who gave a full context to Jesus' famous words "juge not lest ye be judged." I think his blog is listed on the "blogs we follow" list, but for quick reference you can read the post here: http://schr8r.blogspot.com/

I have often wondered about this great dividing line between liberal Christianity and Conservative Christianity. There are plenty of labels thrown around on either side which include emergents, post-modern evangelicals, fundamentalists, charismatics, emerging church types and more direct insults like hippies, whackos, charismaniacs etc.

The post I refered to-- about the context of Jesus' words -- made the argument that as Christians we ARE called to make moral judgments about right and wrong. As I thought about this other verses came to my mind.

We are quick to quote "don't pick the speck out of a brothers eye" but forget to finish with "until we have removed the log from your own eye and can see clearly." Obviously we are called to remove specks from our brothers eyes... but not until we have examined ourselves.

Paul makes a clear distinction in 1 Corinthians 5 between judging those inside the church and those outside the church. Reserve judgment of pagans (his paraphrased words, not mine) for God, but judge your brothers and sisters within the body to correct, encourage etc.

I say this because I see a large division within the body and either side is content to just hurl insults rather than take up a "ministry of reconciliation". I suppose correction is hard when both sides think they're interpreting the infallible word correctly (though they seem to come out with opposite readings)... but I think it starts with each of us recongizing that Christ didn't fall into either camp. He preached to "repent or burn" (Luke 13:3, and read it in context if you think I'm proof-texting), but he also walked with sinners (Matt. 9:12-13). He taught us not to be tolerant of sin (Matt. 10:32-39) and yet show compassion to the sinner (john 8:7). Scripture describes at great length God's wrath towards sin and his utter hatred for it (Psalm 45:7; Prov. 6:16-19; Romans 3:23; Heb. 1:9) but it also describes him desiring and delighting in mercy (Hosea 6:6; Matt 9:13; Romans 9:16).

I guess we have to recognize that Christ's path isn't left or right but something deeper. A well-roundedness if you will. So often I personally get stuck in seasons of understanding. I'll go through a season where I need to know God's love, his mercy, his grace... and there are times I need to be shaken and told to smarten up, repent, be holy. Sometimes I need to remember we're called to serve outside the church building, and sometimes I need the comfort and teaching within the four walls. Sometimes I need to be reminded to love sinners. Sometimes I need to be reminded to love Christians.

I guess my prayer is that I am able to amalgamate these seasons of understanding in my life. That I can understand God's mercy and his vengence. His love and his righteousness. His compassion and his perfect judgment. Rather than isolate these characteristics and dwell selfishly on what I need at the time, that I can see God and the example of Christ in a more wholistic way.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the publicity, Nate. The post is at schr8r.blogspot.com however.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fixed. Watch your hits soar now! Haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job Nate. All the liberals this post have attracted need somewhere to go. ;)

    ReplyDelete