Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The Slipping Away of Christian Reality

"Our generation is overwhelmingly naturalistic. There is almost complete commitment to the concept of the uniformity of natural causes in a closed system. This is its distinguishing mark. If we are not careful, even though we say we are biblical Christians and supernaturalists, nevertheless the naturalism of our generation tends to come in upon us. It may infiltrate our thinking without our recognizing its coming, like fog creeping in through a window opened only half an inch. As soon as this happens, Christians begin to lose the reality of their Christian lives. As I travel about and speak in many countries, I am impressed with the number of times I am asked by Christians about the loss of reality in their Christians lives. Surely this is one of the greatest, and perhaps the greatest reason for a loss of reality: that while we say we believe one thing, we allow the spirit of the naturalism of the age to creep into our thinking unrecognized. All too often the reality is lost because the "ceiling" is down too close upon our heads. It is too low. And the ceiling which closes in is the naturalistic type of thinking." - Francis Schaeffer


I know that I have for sure, at one time or another, fallen into this way of thinking. I've always considered myself very "intellectual" and struggled with the idea of the supernatural world that exists among us. It isn't that I didn't believe it, but I found difficulty with the concept. This book is challenging me in so many ways. Schaeffer is doing a fantastic job and conveying these spiritual truths in a manner that I can relate too. The purpose isn't to hold to a theology that if everything were reduced to anthropology and psychology, it would still stand. There is supposed to be a supernatural element to it....supernatural in the sense of things unseen. Paul says that in 1 Cor. 4, that we're a spectacle to man and to angels. A spectacle in the sense of being on stage....being observed! It is so easy for me just to live in this world and to completely forget that half of me should be living in the other.

3 comments:

  1. Great post Chris!

    I really liked your concluding sentence. We are supposed to be living for both worlds; that is a knife that cuts both ways.

    Are we to heavenly-minded to be of any earthly good or too earthly-minded to be of any heavenly good?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Schaeffer has been one of the foremost influential authors that has contributed to my spiritual journey. Glad to see he is still speaking to people beyond the grave.

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very insightful for myself as well, Chris. As a fellow intellectual, the hard part of me is that naturalistic explanations make so much 'sense'. That is, science is so advanced at this point that it is like the pendulum has swung where it takes more faith to believe a supernatural explanation than a natural one (which I understand is a large generalization, but I think this captures the feeling of the age). Combined with the materialism and pace of our society, which distracts us from concepts that point us to God like suffering and hope, post-Christendom is the age where God is no longer needed. This is why in my own walk suffering with those who suffer is the act that pulls me closest to God.

    ReplyDelete