Saturday, July 4, 2009

More excerpts from II Timothy


Here's a few more thoughts from the rest of II Timothy. Once again, bold emphasis is mine.

3:1 But understand this, that in the last days there will come times of difficulty. 2 For people will be lovers of self, lovers of money, proud, arrogant, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, 3 heartless, unappeasable, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not loving good, 4 treacherous, reckless, swollen with conceit, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, 5 having the appearance of godliness, but denying its power. Avoid such people.
What struck me when reading this verse today is how atrocious the behaviours are that Paul describes for the last days, and yet, these people will have "the appearance of godliness" How in the world could someone who acted like that even be considered to have "the appearance of godliness" and what is the "power of godliness" that they deny? Especially in light of verses like Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’23 And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’ From Matthew 7.

4:1 I charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is to judge the living and the dead, and by his appearing and his kingdom: 2 preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, and exhort, with complete patience and teaching. 3 For the time is coming when people will not endure sound [1] teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, 4 and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths. 5 As for you, always be sober-minded, endure suffering, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry.

Preach the word - it is the method that God has ordained to spread the news of the Gospel. It would be interesting just to see what people consider the definition of "preach"to be.
Those opposed to sound teaching, do not just passively ignore it, they accumulate their own teachers to suit and support their arguments against it. They are in essence increasing their stockpile of false knowledge.

4:12 Tychicus I have sent to Ephesus.
I just love how Paul is in jail, is pretty sure he is going to die yet continues to quarterback the game!!!

4:18 The Lord will rescue me from every evil deed and bring me safely into his heavenly kingdom. To him be the glory forever and ever. Amen.
I hope I am able to have this much grace and Christian maturity when my life is coming to a close. You could read this as Paul hoping for a miraculously transportation directly to heaven and out of his problem but I don't believe that was in keeping with his character and faith. So, if death is is the only possible route to heaven, then Paul must be considering that every evil deed (including is own imminent execution) is "rescued" by being brought into Christ's presence. Should keep that in mind when I think I'm having a tough day.

2 comments:

  1. "Bring me safely" - what an amazing perspective. Being 'safe' has nothing to do with one's earthly situation and everything to do with one's eternal destiny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Btw, I love the RCC - "Rich Cherry Commentaries! Is Titus next?

    ReplyDelete